One thing that holds true is that we exist in two states, a state of being and a state of becoming.
I am a firm believer that you are defined by the things you do more so than the things you say. Looking back on the past 10 years, recounting who I’ve been, places I’ve traveled, people I’ve met, and the quality of conversations held I am overwhelmed with gratitude. I’ve spent most of this time learning and earning, working hard to secure a future that I have always imagined. The path I chose has truly been an adventure allowing me to discover who I am solely because of my way of life.
I entered the business world at the age of 20, arrogant and reckless– a maverick of sorts. The responsibility of managing people and money matured me quickly. Because with responsibility comes accountability. I have not only had to learn to bear the blows, but to own each of my decisions. The obstacles I’ve faced, the challenges I’ve overcome, the holes I dug myself and climbed back out of molded me into the measured, wiser, more conscious man writing this blog. I’ve aligned and developed my core values through repeated actions. Legacy is a process, rooted in creation, bound by the reality that things take time to take shape. The lessons learned through repetition have molded me and have turned obstacles that used to be difficult to overcome, into small challenges that have become 2nd nature to navigate. However, it is important to discern which repetitions produce valuable results and those that result in valuable lessons.
My wish is to live a life that others can benefit from. That is why I believe it is important to share your successes and failures. This can help clear the path for someone else’s journey. In turn, making the world better as they carry the torch further.
Here are some things I’ve learned in my 20’s that I hope will help the next generation of dreamers:
- YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OUTCOMES.
- It’s not about what happens to you. It’s how you react to it. As long as you manage your end of things, the end will result in your favor.
- WHAT YOU DO EVENTUALLY DEVELOPS INTO WHO YOU ARE.
- Every decision you make defines you. Even something as simple as waking up early to be somewhere important, can be affected by choosing to go out the night before rather than staying in to rest.
- NEVER TAKE ANYTHING PERSONAL.
- ACCEPTING THIS WILL ALLOW SPACE FOR PEACE. WITHOUT PEACE YOU WILL ALWAYS BE ANCHORED TO EMOTIONAL BAGGAGE.
- LIQUOR AND LEVERAGE WILL KEEP YOU FROM YOUR GOALS.
- I have faced this battle personally. We all want to have fun but one must remember too much of anything is bad for you.
- HOW YOU SPEND YOUR TIME WILL DETERMINE YOUR SUCCESS.
- In anything you do, ask yourself “How does it make me better?” If you can’t answer that, then just remember you are responsible for your outcome.
- CONSISTENCY IS KEY.
- We all want to do the right thing. They say “The road to hell is paved with good intentions”. Taking those steps in the right direction has to be a continual thing.
- IF YOU DECIDE WHERE YOU WANT TO BE, AND TAKE ONE STEP IN THE SAME DIRECTION EVERY DAY, YOU WILL EVENTUALLY REACH YOUR DESTINATION.
- Progress is realistic, perfection isn’t. Even the fastest sprinters started with baby steps.
- LISTEN MORE THAN YOU SPEAK.
- When you speak, you tell people what you know. When you listen, you learn something new.
- IQ IS IMPORTANT, BUT EQ IS THE GAME CHANGER
- BEING SMART JUST ISN’T ENOUGH. ONE MUST BE RATIONAL IN THEIR APPROACH.
- IQ- is your intelligence
- EQ- is your emotional intelligence
- WRITE YOUR THOUGHTS DOWN.
- WE OFTEN FORGET THE GOOD STUFF BECAUSE WE DON’T WRITE IT DOWN.
- BALANCE IS KEY.
- TOO MUCH OF ANYTHING IS BAD FOR YOU. WORK HARD, PLAY HARD, BUT DON’T FORGET TO TAKE SOME TIME TO RELAX TOO.
- LIVE A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE.
- What you consume will play a major role into what you are. Be mindful of what you consume, whether it is what you eat, what you listen to, or what you expose yourself too. I’ve learn time is better spent in the gym than a bar.
- MANAGE YOUR EMOTIONAL DIET.
- WE WILL ALL MEET PEOPLE WHO HAVE THINGS GOING ON IN THEIR LIVES. BE MINDFUL, AND BE CAREFUL NOT TO LET THEM WEIGH YOU DOWN WITH THEIR BURDENS.